Thursday, July 30, 2009

I'm so excited.. and I just can't hide it!

OK y'all so I'm officially about to explode because of this post I saw on The Young Black and Fabulous blog (YBF aka theybf.com)today... As some of my subscribers know I'm a barbie girl living in an adult world that shuns my barbie addiction. But, the editor-in-chief at Vogue magazine must be feeling my pain because he, Frank Sozzani, just announced that they will be featuring Black Barbies in next months issue. Swelling, swelling, swelling, swelling KABOOM!!!!!!! Excuse me y'all my head just exploded! This is a great feature for the magazine; a magazine of which has been call out for their lack of African American female aesthetic. I'm really happy to see Barbie featured because my grandmother Georgia Von Noble was the model for the original Black Barbies...Some history on the Black doll:

"Colored Francie" made her debut in 1967, and she is sometimes described as the first African American Barbie doll. However, she was produced using the existing head molds for the white Francie doll and lacked African characteristics other than a dark skin. The first African American doll in the Barbie range is usually regarded as Christie, who made her debut in 1968.

Interesting, considering that my grandmother is a proud Black woman with blue eyes, more slender features and gorgeous BROWN skin... I guess they had to cater to a much wider audience though... NEwho I have to feature some pictures and I will keep y'all posted on the Barbie news... I'm going to go collect my self!! (pun fully intended)

My beautiful Grandmother...



























Even though this juxtaposes the point it rings a lot of semblance of truth... Its a wonderful quilt but Kyra Hicks (google her baby)

2 comments:

  1. Your grandmother is gorgeous! I've seen pictures of her before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell us more about her and her career!

    I'm a Bison (from way before your time!)

    See my reunion post here: http://docslocs.blogspot.com/2008/05/bitter-sweet-hucm-reunion.html

    Keep lurking!
    DL

    www.wblr.com

    ReplyDelete